Thursday, May 8, 2008

If I had buttons, they would pop!

We got back yesterday from a whirlwind road trip to see our son. He performed a concert with 4 other classmates as a project. I have always known how talented he is and the potential he has. I was so overwhelmed by the music he wrote and performed, his vocal technique and ease on a stage. I know, I'm his mom and he should be perfect always to me. Those closest to me know I have a pretty good grip on who my kids are. They aren't perfect by any means, they mess up, just like me. They have their personality quirks, just like everyone else. But I have to say, he was awesome. His ease up there makes him a born performer. His keyboard and vocal talents along with his writing are a gift. I laughed one day because my daughter accused me of living vicariously through my children. I haven't expected them to do all that I wanted but as a parent, I do get the priviledge of watching them do amazing things and enjoy it. I work like I do so my son can go to school and do the things I couldn't do when I was in college due to money. It has been a pleasure to watch him grow and develope and most definetely surpass what I would have done. He also has a love and annointing for worship. The other students were amazing as well. Each different in their style and delivery but each blessed with such talent. Everyone one of them easily able to hold their own on a professional level. If you want to see any of their performances the few I have will be on youtube.

I have had a chance to talk about my faith lot lately in many situations. You may think that is a regular event for me as a pastor's wife but it isn't. I am mostly surrounded by evangelical people like myself. Some of us more messed up than others. Because I work in a school system, I am very careful about speaking if not asked about it and at church everyone speaks of it. I have not always been comfortable sharing my faith and my personal story so I feel like God is stretching me. It is easier to speak of Christ when relaying a parable or some nugget of truth from the bible. It is much harder when you make it personal. We get caught up in what has been termed "christianese". The reason I really my New living translation of the bible is because it says it all in plain speaking. It is my favorite version. So if you really want a version that is easy to understand get the New Living translation and step out of your comfort zone. Be Jesus with skin on. Have a great Mother's day too!

1 comment:

Angie said...

I can't wait to see OA in concert! You have plenty of reason to be proud- you have some pretty talented kids!